Sunday, September 14, 2003

ahhhhhhh study break. And I do actually plan to use it for studying since I'm here in sydney and not other various places around the earth. Some studying at least...definitely not today though. Today I'm just soaking up the laziness of not having to do anything. That doesn't really make sense but I'm sure you all know what I mean. Last night I stayed out late and partied with kate and some old ywam friends...it really is quite a small world once you get out there and check it out. I thought I'd enjoy a nice sleep in this morning but for some reason I was awake and praying at 8:00am. It's weird the things God puts on your heart to pray for that early. And it's frustrating when you really want to sleep but you can't so then you think "well I'm awake I might as well pray". Might as well pray. Something about that line isn't right. But that's the way I think at 8am. Some one asked me a very deep question the other day. What does AM and PM stand for anyway? I used to know, but I guess it's not something I think of often.
So i saw Switchfoot on saturday night. It was pretty cool. Australians definitely don't know how to enjoy a concert, but I was loving it. I guess it would help if you knew the songs...Australians definitely need the revelation that there is good christian music out there besides hillsong. So we saw Switchfoot up in Newy which was cool cause I haven't been up there in ages and I went with ali and some of her friends which is always (usually) fun. But I will admit that at times I feel like the "weird" christian cause ya know I'm out at hillsong and it's actually really funny feeling like the pentecostal one in a group. Definitely not used to that, but it's fun, but it's also frustrating cause you remember how you used to be and how you just didn't "get it" and you want other people to get it too. Something that really annoyed me was a conversation I kinda over heard between a couple guys (sorry ali if you're hearing this for the first time here. I'll talk to you about it but I just needed time to process it before I just opened my mouth and started talking). Like they were fully cutting down some other christians because of a certain method they used for altar calls. (I mean really how rediculous does that conversation sound!) But yeah I guess I can't make a full judgement cause I didn't hear all of it and I wasn't actually IN the conversation but I know I heard somethings that were just really mean. And man it just really pisses me off when Christians bag eachother out. I reckon it pisses Jesus off too, because it's like his bride, and his church which he came to build turning against eachother. Honestly I wanted to say to this guy...so when was the last time you lead over 200 youth to make a decision to pursue a relationship with Christ? Like the whole story with Billy Graham or some famous evangelist that got critised for his method and he told the guy "Well I like the way I do it better than the way you don't" I dunno. I guess it's cause I've been there. I've been the one that's critical and I understand why they think the way they do and why they say the things they say, but I also know the root of bitterness that it comes from and how absolutely unproductive it is and how it just breaks God's heart.
Anyway I think I'm going to get off my soap box for now, but I dunno maybe someone needed to hear that or think a bit about that today. Like I know it's confusing sometimes why there are so many extremes with in christianity, I mean far out I was at a church last night where people were being slane in the spirit, rolling on the floor laughing, and convulsing because they were having a demonic spirit cast out of them (not Hillsong btw) and I mean yeah it still takes me a while to get used to that stuff and it's definitely not the type of church environment I was raised in, but who's to say they're wrong and my conservative up bringing was right. Cause I definitely don't think it was. It was awesome, but definitely lacking. I guess Rodney King still said it the best when he said, "Can't we all just get along". Actually I think Jesus said that too, "Love your neighbor as yourself".