Friday, March 19, 2004

so check it out, I'm getting paid to blog again. sweeeet.
Ok so you know how everytime I read a book I get on here and say it's the BEST book ever and you HAVE to read it. Well, I think I'm about to do that but this book comes recommended with conditions.

I just finished reading C.S. Lewis' "The Problem of Pain" (like literally just finished reading it). This is probably the best book I have read in the past 6 months, but also the book that I have understood the least on the first read through. I have heard it said by more than one person that Lewis was a great communicator because he was able to discuss complicated issues in lay man's terms. I guess maybe if you were a lay man living in England in 1954, but honestly a lot of his vocab will go right over my head, espeically when he starts busting the foreign languages. So if you're looking for an easy read, this is definitely not it. Not by a long shot. It's taken me a good 3 weeks to get through this 162 page book. Partly because I've been reading two additional books simultaneously, but I started reading those books because I needed a seriously brake from the weight of "Pain".
The book tackles one of those questions that is asked in every age, by people of every social and spiritual background, and with the usual Lewis style, the question is not answered but discussed with many outcomes and possible conclusions.
The question being, "Why do bad things happen to good people?", or "Why do bad things happen period?"
The thing that I love love love about Lewis is that he always breaks down an issue or topic logically and almost scientifically though I doubt he would agree with that. I guess I mean scientifically as the way one goes about doing scietific research or building a hypothesis...step by step. He is always completely practical but without ever losing sight of faith in the Supernatural.
Whether you are currently going through a painful situation, have faced painful situations, or are waiting for one in the future (because we'll all have them) I would HIGHLY recommend this book. The conditions of which being don't read this book if you don't want to: think, have your belief system challenged, be responsible for the knowledge you will have gained through it, have to bust out Oxford's dictionary. Seriously though it's not a light book, but it is definitely one worth plodding through. And as always if you have read it, or are going to read it, or are currently reading it I'm always up for discussion. Especially regarding the chapter on "Animal Pain" cause I'd like to think that my dog will be in heaven. And if that isn't intriguing enough this one is definitely going into my non-exsistant Book of Quotes, "When we want to be something other than the thing God wants us to be, we must be wanting what, infact, will not make us happy."

Peace out and happy reading.