Wednesday, March 31, 2004

So the retreat was good. Different but good. I learned that it's not about me. God is sovereign enough to use me inspite of myself. I could go into that but i don't feel like it. However, do not despair, there are many other random things I do feel like talking about.

First a story.

So today I'm just chilling here at the desk, doing nothing, and a lady walks in and asks me if I spoke spanish...in spanish. So it took me about 30 seconds to figure out what the hell was going on cause...well your brain doesn't work fast when you've been doing nothing for 2 weeks. So I was like...ummmm no. THEN she proceeds to ask me what she was going to ask me (I assume) in spanish, in PERFECT english!!!!!! As some of you may know, it has been a pet peeve of mine for some time how we have catered to the spanish speaking community in America rather than encouraging them to learn OUR language. Now I have a fear that someone who doesn't normally read this blog is going to stumble upon this post, call me a racist, report me to the media and my life as I now know it is over. Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm not racist, I took spanish in high school, I have a lot of hispanic friends who speak spanish (AND english), and mexican food is on the top of my list. But I will admit that for all the arguements I've heard regarding english vs. spanish in America I DO NOT understand why we continue to move more towards creating a second official language in this country. Yes, Canada has two, but Candada was founded by french speaking people and english speaking people. I must say, I shock myself with how incredibly ethnocentric (the only thing I remember from Am. Gov't) I continue to be on this issue....Ok AS I am writing this a lady just walked in..another one..trying to ask me something in what must have been "Spanglish". I understood half of it anyway. If someone wants to try to tell me I'm wrong I'd appreciate it, cause I kind of want to be wrong, but honestly it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, on to other less divisive things

I'd like to talk about people with multiple blogs. "Who cares?", you may ask. "There are children dying from AIDS in Africa, there is war all over the Middle East, John Kerry has a higher poll rating than Bush and you want to talk about multiple bogs!?", you may say. And I would answer, "I don't care who cares, and yes I do."
It seems to me there is a trend. People start blogging then realize there might be things they don't want certain people to read so they start a new "secret" blog and don't tell anyone about it, or maybe just a few close friends. Or someone will want to start a blog dedicated to one certain topic. For example, one of my friends start a blog about her dreams and what she thought they meant. Ok. As many of you know I myself have more than one blog...though technically the other isn't a "blog" persay, and I really haven't written in it for ages, mostly cause I'm lazy and I like the blog layout better. But here's my point (yes, there is one). And if you think I'm taking this thought to a ridiculous extreme, I am, but just think about it. I believe this trend of having multiple blogs is a result of the incredibly seperated and compartmentalized society we have created and currently live in. I could give multiple examples of this in our day to day lives, but I'll let you think about it instead. Shouldn't take too long. This is part of the reason why I don't write in d-x anymore. That and I can't keep up with two forums. I was just tired of having "secret" things in one place and "public" things in another. Or whatever. Now I'm not saying that we all need to be spilling our deepest darkest secrets to everyone. Obviously I do not share all of mine here, though I do strive to be as open and honest as possible. I guess I just feel like people will get a slanted view if you only write about one aspect of your life in one place and a totally different part somewhere else. I'm all about being a whole person, and hopefully that philosophy spills over into the discussions held here.

With that said, I may be about to contradict myself.

Today is March 31st, but if you're in Australia it's April 1st, a rather significant date for me personally. The details of which shall remain in my head. It wasn't until earlier this morning that I realized today should be commemorated rather than tomorrow. I hate the international dateline. Is there anyway to get rid of it?

I think that's about it for now...I think that's about all I can handle. Adios. =)