Tuesday, April 20, 2004

ok so this new book I'm reading....

It's good, but I remembered why I don't like a lot of novels. Or maybe it's just the few that I've read that have left me with this taste in my mouth, maybe if I read one that was like in Oprah's book club....joke. But seriously it's good, like the story line is good, but I hate how writers make people say things that NO ONE in real life would say. For example, "What in tarnation are you doing here?" That is a direct quote. All of a sudden a good looking Peace corps workers turned into Yosemite Sam.
I find this to be particularly true in "Christian" novels. It's like the authors are trying to keep things clean, but just end up making them dumb. Like the character I just quoted isn't a christian and I'm pretty sure would be much more likely to be heard saying "What the hell are you doing here?". But good writing and realistic dialogue is thrown out the window due to making things family friendly. I dunno, I think it's kind of lame. Since I don't read a lot of fiction, Christian or otherwise, I don't really have anything to compare this to. Maybe non-religious novels are written this poorly as well. But I doubt it. I mean I did read a lot of good stuff in high school so I know not everything is crap.
There's also a lot of random bits thrown in here and there that I think are supposed to help make things flow, introduce new characters, add something to the exsisting ones, but they're pretty weak. Actually, I guess it's not that good of a book but for some reason it's got my attention. Probably the kid in it. He's cute and in my mind is a quieter David Petrini, and probably the most well developed character in the book thus far.

I'm sure this you will hear plenty more on this.