Thursday, April 15, 2004

woah...what the heck is going on with bloggers posting format??? is this new? it's lame. No me likey. Anyway...

Sorry about the linking problems. The actual website is www.pwarchive.com No "s". Also, I don't know why my links haven't been highlighting as of late. Anyone have any ideas? Anybody, anybody...krystle...anybody...
You know what I find surprising, that I get a lot of crap from people for my spelling but not for my misuse of punctuation. I use the elipsis (sp???) quite frequently, and I don't know that I ever use it in it's proper context. Come on people, if you're going to be picky about your grammar, be picky about all of it.

Now I have a book UNreccomendation. Yes, that is correct. I don't know if I've talked about this book in here...but it's crap and you shouldn't read it or spend money on it or bother with it at all really. It's entitled Abraham and it's by Bruce Feiler. There are numerous reasons why this book is crap.

1. It's straight up boring. The writing is trying hard to be something it's not. Namely original, witty, and good. The topic itself is pretty boring. Abraham. Wow. Tell me more. Actually it's not about Abraham at all. Feiler is using the Biblical character of Abraham as an excuse for a book that's real purpose is to further the liberal stereotype of crazy, fundamentalist, right-wing, "evil" Christians and also a lame attempt at uniting the three monotheistic religions through the one person they claim to have in common.

2. Though he interviews and quotes lots of "scholars" from various religious backgrounds (rabbi's, catholic priests, Greek Orthodox priests, a female Lutheran minister..I haven't gotten into the bit about Islam, but I'm sure he interviews some of them too) these people are all of the same (wrong) opinion. That if the three religions would sit down over a cup of tea, talk about Abraham, their founding father and realize that they can be united through him the world would cease to have problems. We could all hold hands, sing Kum Bah Yah, and make Rodney King's dream of "getting along" come true. Sorry folks but it ain't gonna happen. Wars are going to continue to escalate. "Peace in the Middle East" will continue to escape the leaders of the world. And then, hallelujah, Jesus will return. Come quickly Lord.

3. It's a really good example of...well I don't know the technical term for it, but you know how often people's research confirms what they believed prior to the research. Like everything is slanted towards their personal bias.

I guess that's the end of my list...I could rant some more, but I think you get the picture. If you want to read a book about the Middle East, the deeply rooted problems there, and some of the interrelations of the "Big Three" check out, An Unexpected Light by Jason Elliot. It's a really good book. I haven't finished it yet cause Liene stole it from me, I mean I gave it to her. Anyway I'm off to search for the nearest starbucks near me. Did you know that I've been to 10 out of the 23 starbucks in Sydney. I didn't either. But the store locator on their website is a lot of fun to play with. They have stores in countries I've never even heard of.