Thursday, May 06, 2004

I've had a revelation today. It was while I was standing over the copy machine for about 30 minutes making a million copies of invoices and printouts and other random accounts stuff.
I am not an office person.
Shocking but true. And how did I come to recieve this revelation you may ask yourself? Well you see, the copy machine here is pretty ghetto and kind of loud. BUT it has a GREAT beat. And so (enter moment of total dorkiness) I found myself totally into this copying because of the beat this machine had.
So, since I'm in my hip hop stage, the first thing that came to mind was, wow this could be a could rap loop. But then I was getting bored with the machine beat and the beat box in my head so I decided I could use the machine as a drum track for any style of music. Then I proceeded to put the beat underneath a country, rock, and big band song and then, my copying was done. And I was sad. Cause that was the highlight of my day.
I've known for a few months now that I don't actually enjoy working in an office environment, but it wasn't until today that I realized I didn't enjoy it because it totally doesn't suit my personality or strengths one bit. And I was SOOOOOOOO happy to realize this. There is light at the end of the tunnel! I am not going to be shuffeling papers and answering phones and doing nothing forever. Hallelujah!

I remember in eighth grade in my ELP English/History class they made us take those personality tests that are supposed to tell you what careers you would be good at. All of my top ones were in some sort of service industry. Social work, tourism/hospitality, teaching, food service, etc. I remember that my mom wasn't happy because that meant I was destined to a life of not earning much money, and not being considered upper crust in society. In eighth grade I had even less idea what I wanted to do with my life than I do now but I do remember thinking, "I can do better than these options". True be told I'm a pretty confident (egotistical, whatever) person and I truely believe that if I wanted to do something, I could do it. If I wanted to become a CEO I could, doctor sure, lawyer obviously. I still believe that. I don't know, maybe it's the American in me. But I think that this is how a lot of people live and plan their lives now. They look at what they could be, they look at the money they could make, and they go for that. Killing their soul, their body, their personality, and those around them in the process. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It doesn't fit. But if you work hard enough, and wear the sqare shape away, you can eventually force the peg in the hole.

I'd like to talk to the person that decided being a doctor, lawyer, or businessman deserves more clout and money than a teacher, policeman, pastor, or social worker. I think this might be headed towards some kind of utopian communistic statement. Which we already know looks really good on paper, but really bad in real life. I guess I'm just thankful that I have come to the point where I can be comfortable in my skin. I want to be the best I can be, not the best someone else can be. And I think I'd like it if people started respecting eachother more. Just because someone has 12 or 8 or 2 or 0 years of education, I think we all deserve the same level of respect. Am I wrong? Is there a reason that I should treat the immigrant janitors that clean up here worse than Execs? I can't think of any reason to. I think I would like to raise my kids in a different country where there is more respect. I've always wanted to raise my kids in a different country, although I don't think Australia is on the list of countries with respectful cultures. Ha. Definitely not.


You wanna hear a really bad story? It'll have to be quick cause I'm off in a few minutes.
So last night I got called to lead worship at youth group...that's a whole story unto itself which is not this story. So I didn't stay after the music because it was almost 8pm and I hadn't eaten dinner, my back was killing me, aaaaaaaaaaand it was the Dateline NBC Friends special. So I chucked my guitar in the back of the truck, but on the way home I stopped by this deli place to put in an application for some weekend work. I thought about putting my guitar in my cab, but i was going to be in there for like 30 seconds and couldn't be bothered. I went back out, looked for my guitar and..........
it was still there. But then I was driving home and talking on the phone to Liene and I forgot about my guitar. Plus by this time I was SUPER hungry, it was after 8, and I was laughing so I just ran into the house. Leaving my truck parked on the street, with my guitar in the open bed...all night long. Had NO idea.
So this morning I drive to work, and this building has a parking garage but it sucks so I always park on the street. I get out of my truck, and look in the bed, and scream. My guitar was still there, with a lovely coat of dew on the top of the case from sitting there ALL NIGHT LONG. So it's been in the cab of my truck all day while I've been at work. I"m kind of hoping that a robber walks by my truck, sees the guitar case and steals it because then I might be able to get a new car AND a new guitar. I have yet to open the guitar case and see if any moisture or anything got in. Lets hope not. So that's my story, and now it's time to leave. At least I didn't run it over... =)