Saturday, June 19, 2004

So tomorrow I'm leading worship. At Lake Ridge. I'm wondering if I'm going to get my dad fired. The music's a little louder (not a lot cause they have such a crap sound system), and a lot more guitar driven (cause we actually have guitarists that can play), and a lot more rock based (cause we're young ya know), however...IT SOUNDS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. I have never lead a group of musicians that is 1. this talented, 2. this willing to speak up when they have new ideas, and flow with the ideas that I throw out 3. this spiritually mature and 4. this flexible, and this willing to sacrifice their time.
Because we are all pretty much busy working people, there were huge scheduling conflicts as far as practice times went. So we got one in last sunday after church. So we'd all already been there for probably 3ish hours, then had about a 2 hour rehersal. They were so cool with it. Then when we were talking over practicing this week, the only night we could all make it was friday night. Everyone was so willing to give up their friday night to practice. Unheard of. Not only did we practice last night, we ended up practicing for 3 hours. I felt like I was at Hillsong again. But everyone just wanted to keep going over stuff to make sure we were solid and really prepared. Never have I had someone else ask me if we could go over a song again. I'm always the one that's like "Come onnnnnnn, one more time." I feel totally blessed, and spoiled.
And when I say that it sounds so good, it sounds SO GOOD. Not even considering that we are a team that has only met together within the past week. Some people hadn't even met eachother before, and we've only had 2 practices. IT's just so totally a God thing. And we laaaaaaaaughed. Oh my gosh, the funniest people.
I've noticed a lot of differences in my leadership and stuff too. It's been sooooooooooooooooo long since I've done anything like this. Not counting the couple times I've lead for high school or whatever, but I dunno that doesn't really count. I'm talking about leading a service. I think the biggest thing I've noticed in myself is a new level of confidence, which totally stems from a more solid understanding of who I am in Christ. I used to be soooo threatened by other people who were more talented or more knowledgeable musically than I. I felt like because I was the leader that I had to be the best or something. I had to have it all. There were probably some pride issues at work there too. But I've noticed this past week just the ability to say "I have no idea, what do you think..." or for instance we're doing this song for offertory that is pretty much all picking. They're easy chords and stuff, and I can play it but 1. I can't play it and sing at the same time, and 2. My guitar sounds pretty crap compared to the other guys beautiful Taylor. So this guy starts playing full on John Mayer stuff for sound check and I'm like DUDE...you are so playing that song! He can play it better, his guitar sounds better, and he can sing beautifully at the same time. A couple years ago, I never would have admitted any of that I don't think. I guess it's just being confident in the talents God has given me and those He hasn't and also knowing that my worth doesn't come from those talents. I can't even tell you how freeing that is.
I'm really excited for tomorrow. Really really. If you read this in time, and think about it, I would totaly covet your prayers. I guess the thing I'm most concerned about is that simply because this is going to be differant than usual that people will be distracted and see it as a performance. I just want there to be such a presence of God and such a sense of humility and sincerity in worship that people are drawn into worshiping Him. Also, I am concerned about some backlash from the older, more conservative, more reluctant to change people. I'm not having them sit during the "slow" songs (gasp) and just dumb stuff like that, that is so engrained in their tradition, and "that's the way it's always been, that's the way it should be" thinking.
So yeah...that's all for now. I actually have to go down to church and fix some powerpoint slides that were wrong. And how am I going to get to church? By driving my car of course. =) I'm so loving it.
Oh by the way, if anyone wants to fly one way to Texas and then drive to AZ with me in august so I don't have to drive alone, you're more than welcome. Or if you live in Texas and want to drive to AZ then fly back, that is also an option. =) Latahs.