Saturday, January 01, 2005

So I was driving into Phoenix for the billionth time in the past 2 weeks yesterday, and I was flipping through my cd's not really excited about any of the choices. I finally settled on Five Iron Frenzy's, "The End is Near". I think I chose it because I've been feeling old, and listening to "loud" music reminds me that I'm not. Plus they are just one of the greatest bands ever to exsist. I miss them already. Well, I haven't really listened to this cd nearly as much as I probably should, so I'm not really that familiar with it. And irony of ironies there is a song called "New Years Eve". So I'm driving down the 202 on new years eve listening to "New Years Eve". The thing is, I swear this song could have been written about me. (I was going to say "written by me", but I doubt my songwriting will ever reach the same level as Reese Roper.) And once again, going against my "no lyrics in blogs" policy here are the words to "New Years Eve". I especially love the last chorus. I'm sure their meaning will ring true for many.


It's new years eve and I'm full of empty promises
I half pretend to keep this time, just like last year

The band is loud and I"m wandering the shadows
Wishing I was never here
I persevere

A crowded room, these whitewashed tombs
They raise their glasses high
They kiss the past goodbye

This new years eve, I'm waiting for tomorrow
My heart is on my sleeve
And yes I still believe

This new years eve, will turn out better than before
I'm holding on, still holding out
Until they close the door...on me

It's new years eve, and I feel my insecurities
Are haunting me like ghosts, this sinking quicksand

And then with thunderous praise and lofty adoration
A second passes by, and nothing changes

I hate my skin
This grave I'm standing in
Another change of years
And I wish I wasn't here

This new years eve, I'm waiting for tomorrow
My heart is on my sleeve
And yes I still believe

This new years eve, will turn out better than before
I'm holding on, still holding out
Until they close the door...on me

A year goes by, and I'm staring at my watch again
And I dig deep this time, for something greater than I've ever been,
Life to ancient wineskins
And I was blind but now I see

This new years eve
Something must change me inside
I'm crooked and misguided
And tired of being tired

This new years eve
I'm waiting for tomorrow
My heart is on my sleeve
And yes I still believe, in You



Happy new year, everyone.