Saturday, July 02, 2005

So i just started reading this book called, "Stumbling Toward Faith" by Renee Altson. 25 pages in I had to stop. This book is way intense. One of the first lines is "...my father raped me while reciting the Lord's prayer". Yeah. Intense.
But I stopped on page 25 because there was this beautiful thought that I just couldn't get past. I think it's something I've thought before but have definitely not articulated this way. I'm just going to quote it.

"I struggle to understand who I really am, who I have been, who I was in those restless years. I am struggling to understand God apart from those words I used, the words I placed on my Christianity in order to belong, to fit in, to survive. Take the words away and I am lost."

What a cool thought.

If you took all the words away, how would we know faith? Could we recognize Jesus? What would the church sound like if it wasn't "justified", "sanctified", "purified", "righteous", "redeemed", or "saved"? If we take the words away are we lost? How deep does this stuff run? Or does it just float around in words? Kind of like alphabet soup. It's so good to search our faith without words. Or at least with new words. And definitely without "church" words.

With that said I'm going to go watch Hillsong.